10 Apr The LED Revolution
Why do neon signs now impart a retro feel? Why are they reminiscent of a bright and vibrant era gone by? Because over time, they have gracefully made way for LED signs, a much more efficient and versatile type of signage.
LEDs or Light-Emitting Diodes are small semiconductor devices that emit light when an electrical current is passed through them. They appear as a series of small lights often placed in strips. Neon signs are made by encasing the neon gas in a glass tube and shaping the tube to form the sign. Colours are created by mixing gases, though the options are fairly limited when compared with LEDs.
So, why did sign makers switch from neon and fluorescent signage to LED signage? Why did business owners choose the latter when the former did give their business the much-needed visibility in a highly competitive spot? These could be a few reasons.
- The glass construction of neon signs makes them bulky and more prone to shattering. Also, replacing tubes in case one goes out is quite difficult. (Did you notice how long your local Pizza Hut remained Pzza Hut when the ‘I’ burned out?)
- Neon signs consume a lot of electricity as a vast amount is needed to heat up the tubes and provide full glow. And though these signs provide a bright 360-degree glow, they can appear a little blurry from a distance.
- As mentioned earlier, the range of colours is huge but still limited.
- Neon signs heat up over time. This can cause them to wear out faster.
It is likely that the arrival of a type of lighting that can take care of all these issues with neon signs is likely to gain more popularity slowly but steadily. How, you ask?
- LED signs are not bulky like neon signs; while the latter may protrude up to 5 inches, the former require less than half the area to prove as effective. LED signs are sleek and require smaller electrical transformers.
- The colour spectrum available with LED lights trumps neon lights in a jiffy. Mixing colours to achieve a specific one, say one that is indicative of your brand, is easier with this lighting.
- LED signs can be customized 100%.
- They are easy to install and maintain, and are environmentally-friendly (neon signs contain mercury that can pose a hazard to the environment).
- The initial investment in LED signage is much more than in neon signs. However, before you jump the gun and decide you can’t afford it, remember that over time, an LED sign is much more cost-efficient than a neon sign. Not only does it use less electricity, it also lasts much longer than neon signs (approximately 100,000 hours), even when powered 24/7. Lower use of electricity, lesser proneness to breakage, the ability to withstand the elements when used outdoors, and overall lower maintenance make the initial investment entirely worth it.
- The brightness of LED signage makes it clearer and more visible from a distance than does neon lighting, regardless of the time of the day. They have a 180-degree light spread that makes it more focused, unlike the 360-degree spread of neon lights.
The biggest advantage of LED signage is the fact that it can be animated. While neon signs can at the most blink in different patterns to attract attention, LED signs can go far beyond. This advantage is being embraced by businesses world over, both big and small, to catch the eye of the potential customer and leave an indelible mark on his memory.
The benefits of LED signage have not been utilized to their maximum potential up until now. The future is much brighter for this light source, with OLED (Organic Light-emitting Display) technology coming to the fore, which is brighter, lighter (much thinner), and even more efficient than LED.
Let Adventrix show you how far your business can take you merely by installing LED signage that is customized to the last detail to suit your brand. Give us a call and let’s talk further.